The University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) and the Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering (CSEE) are seeking adjunct instructors to teach several graduate courses on data science.
The Master of Professional Studies (MPS) program is specifically designed for working professionals to prepare them for a career in data science. All the courses are offered on the weekdays evenings at UMBC’s Catonsville or Shady Grove campus or online; courses are taught by professionals; students do not write a thesis; and emphasis is on applications and tools.
Students are trained to gain advanced skills in machine learning, big data platforms, data visualization, and database processing. We seek instructors with professional experience in data science and analytics, who can teach at least one of the following courses:
- Introduction to Data Science,
- Introduction to Machine Learning,
- Big Data Tools and Platforms,
- Data Management,
- Data Ethics,
- Capstone Project in Data Science, and
- Practical aspects deep learning, natural language processing, reinforcement learning, and AI.
- MS degree in computer science or in a relevant field,
- For technical courses listed above, experienced in Python programming and/or big data tools such as Hadoop, or database management languages,
- Strong interpersonal skills when relating to students,
- The ability to communicate effectively in writing, including conveying complex information and promoting in-depth engagement on course topics, and
- The ability to devote adequate time to courses, including responding to students and providing meaningful feedback in a timely manner.
- For remote instructors: experience in using online meeting platforms such as Webex, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, or Google Meet.
- Being able to commute to our main campus or Shady Grove campus,
- PhD in computer science or in a relevant field, and
- Teaching experience (in class and/or online) at college/graduate school level.
Application Procedure: Email a brief cover letter—explaining their qualifications and course preferences—and a complete CV to Dr. Ergun Simsek, Data Science Graduate Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. CVs will be accepted until the positions are filled.
About the Program: The UMBC Graduate Data Science Program is an interdisciplinary professional graduate program offering both a ten-course Master in Professional Studies (MPS) degree in Data Science and a four-course Graduate Certificate in Data Science. For more information about the UMBC Graduate Data Science Program, please visit our website.
About UMBC: A selective, medium-sized public research university ranked by the Carnegie Foundation in the category of Research Universities with high research activity. U.S. News & World Report ranked UMBC the number one among “Up and Coming” national universities and “schools everyone should be watching.” UMBC also is fourth on their list of top national universities “where the faculty has an unusual commitment to undergraduate teaching.” UMBC is a two-time winner of the U.S. Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring.
Our location: UMBC offers two locations: UMBC’s convenient, suburban campus is located just minutes off I-95 in Catonsville, MD between Baltimore and Washington DC, and less than 10 minutes from the BWI Airport. UMBC’s Shady Grove campus is located at the Universities at the Shady Grove in Rockville, MD. Both campuses are surrounded by one of the greatest concentrations of commercial, cultural, and scientific activity in the nation.
UMBC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is a recent recipient of a National Science Foundation ADVANCE award to promote the hiring and advancement of women in science and engineering. We welcome applications from women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities.
Job Type: Part-time
Education: Master’s (Required)
Work authorization: United States (Required)